For the purpose of supporting the development of Confucius Institutes, facilitating international promotion of Chinese language and dissemination of Chinese culture, as well as cultivating qualified Chinese-language teachers and excellent Chinese-language learners, Confucius Institute Headquarters/Hanban (hereinafter referred to as Hanban) launches a “Confucius Institute Scholarship” program to sponsor foreign students, scholars and Chinese language teachers to study Chinese in relevant universities of China (hereinafter referred to as “Host Institutes” ).
Category of Scholarship and Eligibility Criteria
1. Scholarship for Students of MTCSOL
2. Scholarship for Students of One-Academic-Year + MTCSOL:
3. Scholarship for Students of BTCSOL
4. Scholarship for One-Academic Year Students
The scholarship is oriented at excellent students of Confucius Institutes (Classrooms), winners of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students, overseas local Chinese language teachers, excellent foreign college students majored in Chinese, and outstanding performers on the HSK. The scholarship winner may choose to study in majors including Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy. The time of entrance is autumn 2014 or spring 2015 and the grant term is one semester. Applicants should achieve a score of at least 120 on the HSK (level 2) and at least 40 on the HSKK (primary level).
For all categories of scholarships, priority will be given to applicants with HSK and HSKK scores. Winners of the finals of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students in China shall arrange their applications in accordance with the prize specifications. Repetitive applications are invalid.
Scholarship Coverage and Criteria
2. Confucius Institutes (independently set-up Confucius Classrooms), overseas Chinese test centers, educational and cultural offices (sections) of Chinese Embassies (Consulates), host institutes and institutions of higher education in those countries with no Confucius Institutes are entrusted by Hanban as the recommending institutions. The recommending institutions shall examine the qualification and application materials of applicants, and submit the list of recommended applicants to Hanban by the beginning of May every year.
3. BLCU is responsible for reviewing the qualifications of applicants and submitting the proposed enrollment name list of qualified candidates to Hanban by the mid-May.
4. Hanban will organize an expert panel to make the final selection, and publish the name list of successful applicants on the Scholarship website by the middle of June. Hanban will also inform the host institutes and the recommending institutions, and the recommending institutions will inform the applicants.
5. The host institutes will post “Admission Letter”, “Enrollment Instructions”, “Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China" (JW202 Form) and other related materials to successful applicants through their recommending institutions by the beginning of July.
1. Photocopy of passport photo page.
2. Photocopies of HSK、HSKK score reports.
3. Notarized highest education diploma attained（scheduled graduation proof or official proof of student status）.
4. Reference letter and letter of commitment. The MTCSOL Scholarship applicants are required to submit two reference letters from professors or associate professors (in Chinese or English) and a written commitment stating that the applicant will be engaged in Chinese language teaching for at least 5 years after graduation (written in Chinese and signed). College students majored in Chinese in countries with no Confucius Institutes established shall submit a reference letter signed and issued by the university President.
5. Applicants under the age of 18 shall submit relevant legal documents of entrusted legal guardians in China.
6. Winners of the finals of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students in China shall submit the certificate of scholarship. Winners of preliminary rounds of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions in their countries shall submit award proof and a reference letter from the Chinese Embassy (or Consulate) in the competition area.
7. Chinese language teachers shall submit the proof of the length of time in teaching and weekly teaching hours provided by institutes they work for.
8. Those applying for scholarship of One-Academic-Year + MTCSOL are required to provide the agreement signed with the Confucius Institute or the institute which they will be working for.
Entrance and Annual Appraisal
1.The scholarship winners shall register at the host institutes before the deadline set by the institutes. Scholarships will not be reserved for those who do not register on time without reasonable cause.
2.Scholarships will be canceled for those who cannot pass the health examination.
3.Students undertaking BTCSOL or MMTCSOL (including One-Academic-Year + MTCSOL), shall be subject to an annual appraisal after being enrolled according to the “Annual Appraisal Procedures for Confucius Institute Scholarship”. Only the eligible students are entitled to continue to receive the scholarships in the following year.