1. Purpose Support doctoral students (candidates) registered with foreign universities to come to China for study, research and writing of their doctoral dissertations. Students who successfully complete the program may receive Ph.D. degrees either from the foreign universities they registered or from both the Chinese and the foreign universities.
2. Duration: From six months to two years.
3. Eligibility • Non-Chinese citizen;
• HSK test score level 3 is required, and priority is given to applicants with higher level of proficiency in Chinese under same conditions;
• Priority is given to students studying at Confucius Institutes (CI) or from CI host universities;
• Applicants who are currently participating in Chinese Government Scholarship are not eligible to apply for this Program.
4. Application materials • Ph.D. Study Certificate;
• Two letters of recommendation from scholars in related field;
• HSK transcript;
• Abstract of master's thesis or other academic publications;
• Abstract of doctoral dissertation;
• A research plan for the study in China;
• Priority is given to applicants who obtain a letter of recommendation from local Confucius Institutes.
5. How to apply Applicants shall fill in the application form, sign it before scanning it and sending it to firstname.lastname@example.org, and then post the application forms and other supporting documents required (both Chinese and English versions) in one packet to the Confucius Institute Headquarters.
6. Assessment Process Applicants will have a correspondence review from the expert panel of the Confucius China Studies Program, followed by an interview.
7. Funding • Lodging and living stipend: 80,000 RMB per year;
• Research fund: 20,000 RMB per year (to be reimbursed against actual cost);
• Round-trip international airfare (economy class, to be reimbursed against actual cost);
• Tuition fees;
• Other support provided by the host Chinese university;
• Expenses for the foreign supervisor’s visit or research in China;
• Expenses for life and medical insurances in China;
• Group activities and cultural experience.
8. Schedule • Correspondence review by expert panel in February;
• Interview within 1 month after correspondence review;
• Announcement of final results within 1 month after interview;
• Enrolment in September or March every year.