Arabic Language and Literature
1. Program Name(Program Code): Arabic Language and Literature(050206)
2. Department: Faculty of Foreign Languages
3. Duration: 4 yrs
4. Aim and Scale:
(1) Training objectives
With Arab country and area studiesas its feature,thismajor is committed to foster talents who have a solid foundation in Arabic language, familiar with Arabic Islamic culture, and have a broad international perspective and profound feelingstowards home countries; and cultivate compound applied and inter-disciplinary talents for foreign affairs, trade, culture, press and publication, education, scientific research, public security, military, national security, tourism, and other departments to undertake Arabic translation, research, teaching, and management.
(2) Cultivation specifications
* Understand the general situation of Arabic language and literature, Arabic Islamic culture and politics, economy, culture and history of Arab countries;
* Basic Arabic listening, speaking, reading and writing skills;
* Proficient in English, the second foreign language, to meet the needs of society.
5. Program Structure:
(1) Course credits: 165 credits; Among them, 35 credits are compulsory public courses, 12 credits are general courses, 16 credits are compulsory foreign language courses, 91 credits are professional compulsory coursesand 9 credits are professional elective courses;
(2) Total class hours: 2699 class hours;
(3) Total weeks of teaching: 127 weeks;
(4) Graduation thesis：7 weeks, 4 credits;
(5) Graduation thesis schedule: from the end of semester 7 to the end of May of semester 8.
6. Requirements for graduation:
Any student with official school status shall, within the prescribed length of schooling,
(1) Abide by the school discipline and pass the standards in moral, intellectual, physical and aestheticaspects;
(2) Complete the courses stipulated in the teaching plan, obtain qualified or above scores, and obtainthe total credits of the courses that meet the graduation requirements;
(3) Complete the graduation thesis, participate in and pass the defense of the graduation thesis. Graduation is granted after examination and verification by the teaching committee and degree committee of the school.